Monday, May 30, 2016

Motion is Poetry @ the Honolulu Museum of Art!

     As an artist myself (poetry, photography, video editing...) I have a general fascination with other people's works and the history of. 

     Every time I visit or live in a new city I always comb the museums for exhibits that touch my senses to the very bottoms of my sole. (wink)

     What better place to quench my thirst than the Honolulu Museum of Art...?


Yumminess at the Cafe!
     
     So...my Boys (Yatniel, Yared, and Yorick) hopped on Da Bus and we headed towards downtown Waikiki!

     The Museum is located across the street from Thomas Square Park and as we walked through we decided to have an impromptu photo session...(I do that a lot!)

     The Boys tolerated it (lol...they are usually good sports) and we got some pre-Museum photography art of our own!

Thomas Square Park
     
     As we walked in I asked the wonderful lady behind the counter if they had any Military Specials...? Wouldn't you know it! We came a couple of days too early...ugh!

     The Honolulu Museum of Art is reinstating their Blue Star program for all Active Military and their families. 

     "Each year from Memorial Day to Labor Day, all active-duty military and their families receive free admission to the museum, with valid ID, as well as a 10 percent discount at our Museum Shops."-Honolulu Museum of Art-Hours/Admissions

     On the bright side kids under 17 years old are always free so admission wasn't too bad!

   
     Happy to be in the Museum we traveled (from room to room) to view different genres, awe inspiring historical works, and immerse ourselves in cultural diversity.





     While looking through the "Hawaii in Design" floor we stumbled across a new exhibit that was opening that day! 


     The Amazing and Multi-Talented PaulPfeiffer was featuring his work "Caryatids". I unknowingly walked into his discourse about the work and was completely fascinated.

     Paul creates a 4-6 second video clips where he highlights a boxing match (or basketball game) where the opponent that is winning is completely taken out (by layering other backgrounds of the same video images on top of one another) and showcases the athlete that is losing in their most painful and defeated moments.

     As I watched the images of all six video clips I came away with a sense of awe. In those crucial moments I could feel the boxers hurt as I scrunched up my face in fear of the punches they were receiving.

     The images he is portraying at the Honolulu Museum of Art are a violent commentary on society and watching these images was true poetry in motion. 

     Paul has been working on his art since the 1990s (when editing and layering were a process of months not hours). He is a video artist, sculptor, and photographer and these skills have only elevated his art over the years.   

PaulPfeiffer @ Honolulu Museum of Art
 
     As the discourse came to a close I asked a question (really...who doubted I wouldn't?). I looked Paul in the eye and took a breath, "If your work today features boxers, what comes next? Will it be MMA Fighters or perhaps Sumo Wrestlers?"

     Paul's eyes lit up with a smile because he understood that I had been listening and had followed the lecture.

     "MMA Fighters would be a natural evolution from boxing but Sumo is something to think about.", Paul replied with a smile and a nod.

     PaulPfeiffer's "Caryatids" will be featured at the Honolulu Museum of Art from May 27th - September 11, 2016.


Utterly Done...
    
     Back on Da Bus we headed home. The Boys exhausted and I on a natural high from brushing up against great works at the Honolulu Museum of Art! Dreaming, planning and looking forward to my next Hawaiian adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment